Applying to EduTech M.Sc.

Application requirements

From the year 2019 on, updates regarding the study program and the application process came into effect.
Below you will find the list of the requirements in order to apply:
  • Bachelor’s degree
    • You need a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in one of these subjects:
        • Computer Science / Programming / Computer Engineering
        • Education / (Media) Pedagogy / Learning Sciences
        • Psychology
    • The final grade of the degree needs to be 3.0 or better (according to the German grading system). You can find more information and convert your grade here.
    • Bachelor’s degrees in other (but still EduTech-relevant) fields may be accepted provided that there are spaces available and that the applicant has an excellent final grade (1.5 or better in German grading system).
    • For the application, please submit your degree certificate along with a transcript of records of the courses you completed.
    • In case that the required bachelor’s degree cannot be proven yet at the time of the application (for example, when you are about to complete your degree but are waiting for your final certificate), you will have to give proof of your study progress so far (transcript of records with temporary grade) and further, give proof that you are registered for all missing exams. This proof needs to be signed and stamped by your university’s examination office. The final documents then need to be handed in until the end of the first semester at the latest.
  • Motivation letter: We expect you to elaborate on your motivation to study EduTech (refer to the “Checklist” on the “Application procedure” below)
  • Proof of English language skills: In addition, proof of English language skills of at least level B2 (CEFR) is required.
  • Optional: a copy of your CV in English or German.

Please note that we receive applications from around the globe and only limited places available. That is why your bachelor grade, previous courses and experiences with programming and / or with empirical research methods matter, as these three aspects, together with the Bachelor’s degree, play an important role when admitting students to the program.

Application procedure (before enrollment)

The official application period for the upcoming winter semester starts every year at the beginning of June and ends on July 15 (in 2021, exact dates to be confirmed, but be ready to start applying in June). All applicants please use the official application form.


a) The UDS (Saarland university) application process

b) Document checklist you need for EDUTECH

We need the following documents to be in your application (in bold: always required; in italics: only if applicable):
  • Bachelor’s degree certificate including the final grade and the transcript of records (all courses) you completed
  • Motivation letter (one page) with a focus on the following key topics: Describe potential prior knowledge and experiences with research methods and/or programming. Why do you want to study EduTech? What do you expect from this program? Critically reflect on your prior experiences with designing learning environments and using technologies for teaching and learning
  • Official proof of English language skills on at least level B2 (CEFR)
  • If you have any other relevant degrees, you need proof for them too (certificate + transcript of records)
  • If your Bachelor’s degree is not completed yet at the date of application, you will need to give proof of your study progress so far (transcript of records with temporary grade) and further, give proof that you are registered for all missing exams. This proof needs to be signed and stamped by your university’s examination office. The final documents then need to be handed in until the end of the first semester at the latest.
All documents must be in English or German language. For any other language, you need to provide certified translation along with scans of the original documents.
Note: Refer to the section “FAQ: Question about the application process & required documents” below for more information.

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about previous studies & English language requirements

As stated above, we welcome applications from candidates from all over the world with previous academic studies in the following fields:

  • Computer Science (such as Programming, Computer Engineering, among others)
  • Education (such as Pedagogy, Learning Sciences, among others)
  • Psychology (such as clinical Psychology, educational Psychology, among others)


My academic background is not in one of these fields, should I still apply?

Yes. Bachelor degrees in other (but still EduTech-relevant) fields may be accepted, provided that there are available spaces for applicants with unrelated educational backgrounds. This provision varies each year, based on the total amount of applicants. It is also required that you have a very good final grade (desired 1.5 or better according to the German grading system).  

As a recommendation, ensure that your motivation letter clearly reflects why are you interested in studying this master which differs from the field of your Bachelor’s. State what you expect to learn on the master and how it relates to your personal and professional goals. Argue and make mention of how will your skills and experience (professional and academic) will make you a competitive candidate and a suitable Edutech student. Also, don’t forget to include links to any project/portfolio as well as proof (such as scans) of your certifications on your CV.


My bachelor’s degree is listed as an EduTech-relevant degree. Does that mean that I will be accepted for sure?

Please note that we receive applications from around the globe and only limited places available. That is why your bachelor grade, previous courses and experiences with programming, and/or with empirical research methods matter, as these three aspects, together with the Bachelor’s degree, play an important role when admitting students to the program.


I already have obtained a Master’s degree, should I send my Master’s or Bachelor’s documents?

You should always send your Bachelor’s documents, i.e. the degree and transcript of records. Also, remember to include official translations of these documents in case they are not in English or German.

You can include that you have a post-graduate study (e.g.  Master’s, a certification) on your CV and motivation letter.


Can I apply without programming skills?

Yes. Learning programming is part of the master’s program, so you will not have to do anything in advance. Most of our students who participate in our beginners’ programming course start with no knowledge at all.


How can I know if my non-German degree grade is above the minimum required?

For applicants without German grades, the method we use to convert your grade is the “Modified Bavarian formula”. To ensure that your grade will meet the minimum required, you can convert your final degree grade using this German grade calculator before submitting your application. Learn more about the German grading system here.

Also bear in mind that the minimum required grade varies depending on your academic background:

  • For studies in the fields of Computer Science, Education, and Psychology the required grade is 3.0 or better
  • For studies in any other field, the desired grade is 1,5 or better

Learn more about the peculiarities of the German grading system on this Wikipedia page.


Can I apply without sufficient English language skills?

We expect level B2 (CEFR) at the time of your application. As all the teaching and course work will be in English, sufficient English skills are a basic requirement. You can prove your English skills with a formal language certificate (e.g., IELTS, TOEFL, FCE/CAE). Other than that, we also acknowledge sufficient English skills if you can prove that you completed your school education or bachelor’s degree in the English language, or if you studied English as a foreign language until receiving your university entrance qualification certificate (in Germany: Abiturzeugnis). Either way, you will need to send an official letter or certificate attesting your skill level.


My Bachelor’s degree was instructed in English. Do I still need to present an official English test?

No, then it is not needed. Please read the answer given in the previous question.


Do I need to prove German skills to apply?

No. The EduTech program is taught fully in English from 2019 on. However, it is strongly advisable to have some notion of German for your daily life. Also, if you are planning to apply to internships or future jobs in Germany, knowing German will increase your chances of being hired.

Questions about the application process & required documents


When does the application period start and end? How many application dates are there per year?

The Educational Technology Master starts once per year, always for the Winter Semester. Therefore, the application period takes place once per year in June and July. 

-Beginning of the application period: There’s no specific date for the beginning of the application period; however, it usually starts on the first days of June. Because of this, we recommend that starting the end of May and the first 2 weeks of June, to daily check this website, the Saarland University website, and the Facebook pages from Saarland University and Edutech where announcements will be made about the beginning of the application period.

-End of the application period: The end of the application period is fixed on July 15 of each year.


Where does the application process take place? Is there any guide available?

The application process only takes place on the official application platform from Saarland University called the SIM platform. This is the official Guide in English (Application guide specifically to EduTech candidates).


I want to apply. Can I apply at any time?

No. The official application period is only once a year and for the winter term. Every year, the application period starts around the first days of June and ends on July 15th

Even if you access the application platform outside of June and July and submit your application in March (for example), your application won’t be processed.


I’m interested in the program. Can I email you my documents for a pre-check before the application period?

No. We are only allowed to check the applicants’ documents that were sent to the application portal during the application period. We recommend you check the information provided on this website so you can make an informed decision regarding applying, and learn about all the documents and translations (when needed) that you’ll need to upload to the application platform.


What documents do I need to upload when I apply?

You can check which kind of documents are needed by reading the “Checklist” under the “Application procedure” section above.


The platform requests me to upload info such as a health insurance certificate, letter of admission, and the semester fee payment, what should I do?

If registering correctly to the application process during the months of June-July, you shouldn’t worry about these documents (so do not upload anything in those sections). Only after you have received your admission letter (around the middle of August), you will need to hire a health insurance certificate (refer to our Enrolling to EduTech page) and upload that contract. Also, you will need to pay the semester fee in order to matriculate. Upload these two documents when you are enrolling after being admitted into the Master (not when applying).


Do I need to authenticate/apostille my Bachelor’s documents?

Concerning the authentication of your transcript of records, if by “authentication” you mean “the process of the embassy to verify that your documents are original and belong to you” then that is not required by us, however, it can be required by your embassy for the later process of applying for the study visa. If by “authentication” you mean the “translations of the documents”, then yes, you need to include on your application translations in English or German of any document that is not in any of those languages.
To recap, concerning your bachelor’s degree and transcript of records documents, what you need to submit for the application is a scan of the originals of those documents. If your documents are not in English nor in German, then you will need to also upload a certified translation of each of them. The translation can be done by the embassy or any other translation service recognized as official in your country. Normally, German embassies and missions can provide you with information on local translators that are recognized by them.


Do I need translations for my application documents? Are there any requirements for the translations to be valid?

We can accept official documents in English or German. For any other language, yes, you need to provide certified translations along with scans of the original documents. Also, a mix of German and English documents is possible.

We only accept official translations, i.e. done by translations that are officially certified in your country. Translations should include the stamp and/or signature that validates their authenticity.


Something went wrong while applying through the platform. What can I do?

Sadly, we don’t have access to the application platform. Therefore, for any technical issue related to the platform please contact the Student Registrar Office at


How long does it take for the results of the application?

You can expect to have the results of your application from the end of August until early September. We will email you an official admission/rejection letter from Saarland University.


Do I need to undergo a personal interview to be accepted?

No, all the application process is through the University of Saarland application platform.


I am an international student – Is the application process different for me?

No. The application process is the same for national and international students and it is done through the same application portal.

However, if you are not a citizen from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland, and get accepted and decide to join us, you will need to apply for a visa for the enrollment process.

Appointments and requirements for visas vary from country to country so we recommend you reach out to the German mission(s) (embassies or consulates) from your country with enough anticipation to learn about the requirements for a German study visa and available dates for appointments.

For more questions about visas, please check our section  “Questions about the application for non-EU candidates & Visa”.


What happens next after the application process?

After you have successfully applied, you need to wait until September to get your admission letter. If you have been accepted (congrats!), then these are some important dates you should keep in mind.

FOR 2021:

Sending of admission letters: end of August, early September 2021

Enrollment deadline: around September 15th (to be confirmed in 2021).

Beginning of classes: around the middle of October 2021 (to be confirmed in 2021)

For more information about the enrollment process, please go to our webpage: Enrolling to EduTech.

Questions about the application for non-EU candidates & Visa


Are there any other additional requirements and processes for non-EU applicants after the application process?

Yes. As mentioned on our ‘FAQ: Application documents & process’ section, if you get accepted and decide to join us but you are not a citizen from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you will need to apply for a visa for doing the enrollment process. Check out this article from the DAAD with an overview of the study visa process and this other article with additional info.

The procedure for obtaining a visa “can take up to three months, in some cases longer”. Appointments and requirements for visas vary from country to country so we strongly recommend you reach out to the German mission(s) (embassies or consulates) in your country with enough anticipation to learn about the specific requirements for a long-term German study visa and available dates for appointments.

Additionally, you can check out the International Office of the Saarland University to learn more about how to prepare your arrival and stay in Saarbrücken.


Can I receive an admission letter before the application process to apply for a visa?

No. Due to the university regulations, official admission letters are redacted by the Saarland University Admissions Dept. For this reason, we (the Edutech dept.) are not allowed to send admission letters outside of the application period.


Visa processes take longer than expected. Is that a problem? When do courses start and when do I ultimately have to be in Germany?

Depending on where you come from, you may need to apply for a visa early on.

The winter semester usually starts mid-October. Here, you find the exact dates for every semester. Click on the “Wintersemester” year of your choice and in the PDF lookout for the “Beginn der Lehrveranstaltungen” row. Course registration takes place online. If you follow this link and type in the information you get after enrollment, you can search for your courses and register. In case you come to Saarland later than the semester start, you will have to clarify with each lecturer if you can still attend their courses. Some courses require constant and active interaction in class and within groups of students, others are more about independent work. So, it is up to the individual lecturer to decide how much of the in-class work you can miss while still being able to pass the course. Remember that you have to complete a minimum amount of credit points each semester to stay enrolled (“Fortschrittskontrolle”, p.10).

Can I do my studies entirely online?

No. Although some of our courses are online, the majority require you to be present here in Saarland, Germany.


Can I study part-time?

Yes. The degree can be studied part-time under certain circumstances (for example because of a job). Learn more about requirements for part-time study (Teilzeitstudium) here (link in German).

Questions about costs & funding


What are the costs?

The EduTech M.Sc. is tuition-free. However, students need to pay the semester fee at Saarland University, currently €288 per semester (year 2020). Depending on potential visa requirements, you may need to prove a certain amount of money on a blocked bank account in Germany to cover your living costs. 


I want to apply for a scholarship (e.g., DAAD) and I need a confirmation letter. Can you send me one in advance?

Unfortunately, we cannot give confirmation letters outside the official application period. 


Does Saarland University offer scholarships, “Co-Op schemes”, or student loans for international students?

In general, there are scholarships. The biggest scholarship program is being offered by DAAD for all of Germany. The UdS also offers a scholarship call StudienStiftungSaar, but many times students can apply once they are studying in their 2nd or 3rd semester. For more information, you may want to ask the International Office, or the Central Student Advisory Service (ZSB).

Questions about PhD & work opportunities


Is it possible to do doctoral/Ph.D. studies?

There may be the chance of doctoral studies after completing your EduTech M.Sc. This would have to be clarified personally with Prof. Armin Weinberger in a face to face appointment. However, there is no  Master of Science program leading to a guaranteed Ph.D. position.


Can I work as a student assistant?

Sometimes there are student assistant positions available, but it is difficult to arrange this in advance. In case you are accepted into the EduTech master’s program, you can apply directly to Prof. Armin Weinberger. Student assistant positions at our department are normally offered to enrolled students based on their performance during the lectures and projects, skills and academic background.

Are there other work possibilities in Saarbrücken?

Yes, there are some companies on campus where you can apply either for an internship or a student job. Some of these companies are IMC, AWSi, and Neocosmo.


What are the job prospects for EduTech graduates?

Graduates of the Master’s program in Educational Technology acquire a comprehensive understanding of the most relevant instructional design and learning theories, digital learning tools and platforms, and solutions for developing and assessing the effectiveness of a digital learning product implementation. As an EduTech graduate, you can choose a career in educational research or become a developer of digital media. You can also work in an e-learning firm or as educational designers for specialized workplace computer courses, as creators of online educational materials or as advisors for educational institutions. An alumni study of 2018 shows that more than 90% of alumni find a job within the domain of educational technology in the first months after graduating, as others go on to do a PhD. in the field.

Can I work as a teacher in Germany after finishing the EduTech Master?

Yes and no. If you want to work as a teacher for the public school system which also includes taking the civil servant status, the homologation process for teaching studies done outside of Germany can be complex and hard. You can inform yourself about your degree and how it is accepted in Germany as equivalent to German “Lehramt”, but the EduTech M.Sc. will not bring you closer to being accepted as a full teacher with all these rights. For private schools or similar (e.g. language schools) that do not require a civil servant status, it is possible, then again it depends on what subjects you teach (topics such as English, Maths, Physics, Computing are in high demand) and on your professional experience. For this path, the EduTech M.Sc. may bring you closer to become a teacher in Germany in the private market but won’t guarantee you a teaching position after the degree completion.