Edutech Master

Clickers.jpgDuring your study in the Educational Technology (EduTech) Master program you get to know prominent learning theories and learn how to design educational technology. In a friendly and competent environment, you have the opportunity to learn in online and blended learning sessions as well as in classrooms with the latest technologies.

GroupNameWriting2.pngWe emphasize interactive, learner-centered approaches to learning and instruction. You will work on projects together with your fellow students in interdisciplinary groups, bringing in your knowledge and learning from others. IMG_4772_klein.jpgThe projects will be relevant to the actual research taking place in our research group, where you can contribute in investigating computer-supported collaborative learning with the use of different technologies, from standard personal computers, to interactive tabletops, to online learning platforms, iPads and social networks. In that context, you will take part in shaping your projects and pursuing your own research questions.

The EduTech Master offers bilingual studies (English & German) for Psychology, Education and Computer Science BAs.

We are a multidisciplinary group of researchers with international and interdisciplinary experience in educational technology. We will support you in learning and engaging in this cutting-edge field.

A German description of the EduTech Master can be found also on the official website of Saarland University.


University: Saarland University; Campus C5 4, 66123 Saarbrücken
Degree: Master of Science in Educational Technology
Program start: winter semester only
standard period of study: 4 semesters
Tuition: The Saarland University charges a tuition fee of ca. 150 Euro per semester including a pass for busses (Semesterticket).
Language of instruction: German and English; language courses are part of the Master program

Half of the Master program can be studied in English from day one on

The Master program can be combined with other programs

For further language-related and other questions, please contact us at

Required entry qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in psychology, education, computer sciences or a related discipline

Knowledge in Learning Sciences and scientific research methods (including statistics) or knowledge in programming

Activity types: Course work (lectures, seminars, classes in small groups, colloquia), research projects, and a master’s thesis
Internships: A 4-week internship (max. 180 hours) is possible.
Supportive Environment: General and academic advising is provided by the coordinator and the program’s instructors

Additional tutoring is provided for specific courses.

How to apply: Online application, available in May of each year.
Application deadline: Application deadline for international students: July 15 of each year

Application deadline for German students: July 15 of each year

City of Saarbruecken: Information about Saarbruecken:


EduTech is interdisciplinary. It crosses and redefines the boundaries between the Learning Sciences and Computer Sciences. It bridges the theoretical and technical knowledge on computer systems with the knowledge on socio-cognitive aspects of learning to create technologies that can afford new socio-cognitive learning experiences.



Current Research Foci


  • Computer Supported Collaborative Learing
  • Collaboration Scripts for the Orchestration of Learning Activities
  • Multitouch Surfaces (iPads & Tablet PCs, Interactive Tabletops) 20090027.jpg
  • Learning in Web 2.0 (Facebook, YouTube)
  • Adaptive Educational Technology, e.g. Automated Feedback in TEL
  • Audience Response Systems and Social Learning Platforms for Large Lectures


Future Perspectives

Graduates of the EduTech Master can choose, for example, a career in educational research, can become developers of digital media, can work in an e-Learning firm, can work as educational designers for specialised workplace computer courses, as creators of online educational materials, or as educational advisors for educational institutions.


During the four semsters of the Master Program of EduTech 120 Credit Points (CP) based on the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) are available. 1 CP is credited for a 30h workload.
It is divided into three different sections:

  1. Obligatory: The students should perform four partial module exams. 40 CP can be obtained in the respective courses. The master’s thesis in the last semester is credited with 31 CP.
  2. Compulsory: The students should engage in either “programming” or ” research methods” based on their prior education. This module is credited with 16 CP.
  3. Free choice: The students should complete one partial module exam or single courses based on their prerequisites for admission; 110 ECTS credits can be obtained in the respective courses.


Modules Overview

For a complete description of the modules in German, please download the modules overview.



We offer the possibility for internationally-oriented and interdisciplinary studies.

Our collaborators include:

  • Saarland University
    • Department of Informatics home
    • Department of Learning Sciences home
    • Department of Mathematics home (German website)
    • Department of Business Economics: Business Informatics home
    • Department of Information Science home (German website)
  • German Research Centre for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI)
    • Living Lab Innovative Retail Laboratory – IRL home
    • Intelligent User Interfaces Department home
    • Competence Center e-Learning home
  • University of Applied Sciences in Saarbrücken (HTW)
    • Department of Business Sciences home
    • Department of Engineering Sciences home
  • Language Centre in Saarbrücken home (German website)
  • International Office home


Administrative Details

The EduTech Master is tuition free!

Students who want to improve their language skills through intensive courses will need to pay the small costs (for more information see, German website). Regular language courses are free.

There is a student fee that costs 186 Euro and gives you the opportunity to use the public transport all over Saarland, as well as get several discounts, e.g for cultural events.

The Fördinant grant (German website) is available to some of our students to cover some living expences.

The International Office, is a special institute dedicated to helping out international students. Here you can also find out about further grant posibilities. The International Office also informs the students of Saarland University about terms abroad. The department of EduTech maintains exchanges e.g. with Oulu, Finland.

The legal order with more formal information on the legal aspects of studying can be downloaded here (German version).

You can see examples of how you can organise your study depending on your background (Learning Sciences or Computer Sciences) here (German version).

Credit Points and Exams

Please see here for a summary of information on:

  • the distribution of credit points to courses within one module
  • the workload in terms of hours per week (SWS)
  • whether the courses find place in the winter semester (SW) or the summer semester (SS)
  • the type of exam for each of the courses/modules and
  • the maximum of credit points that can be recognised for each student in each module



During the EduTech Master, you can make an internship for a maximum of 180h. This has to be approved in advance either by the facutly director of studies or by the examination board. The internship can be completed abroad.

A certificate issued by the internship host (without a grade) has to be submitted as proof of the completion of the internship. The certificate must be accompanied by a report on the internship. A maximum of 6 CP (1 CP corresponds to 30h of internship) will be credited for the internship, which can be recognised as a free-choice course.

Study Abroad

We recommend a study abroad for all the students of the EduTech Master. The study should take place in the second or third semester of the study in a higher-education institution abroad. Students should let themselves be advised on the practical issues of the study abroad and should clarify the recognition of the studies abroad in advance (Learning Agreement). Courses and exams that were carried out abroad will be recognised only if their equivalence is clarified. Courses and exams are considered equivalent if the time and the workload associated with the content, complexity and challenge of the courses and the exam correspond to the ones offerred in the EduTech Master. This does not include a one-to-one correspondence, but an overall comparison and evaluation.

The International Office and the faculty director of studies can inform you on possible study and exchange programmes, grants and formal issues. Due to long application processes at universities abroad and for grants, you must typically register for a study a year before the beginning of your studies abroad.


Master’s Thesis
The master’s thesis module includes the master’s thesis and the seminar that supports students throughout working on their thesis. The aim is to help students deepen their knowledge in planning, carrying out and evaluating empirical studies. At the same time, students learn to compose a piece of scientific work formally and using appropriate scientific language within a limited amount of time. In the master’s seminar, students acquire skills in presenting and composing their master’s thesis, as well as knowledge on the specific topic of individual theses.

IMG_4777_klein.jpg Students independently, but with adequate supervision, work on a scientific problem in the area of educational technology using standard methods in the field. The supervision will partly take place in the master’s seminar, where students present and discuss their work progress, and get feedback on methodological, formal and topic-specific issues regarding their thesis.

Master’s Thesis Requirements
To officially register for embarking on the master’s thesis, students must have successfully completed the obligatory modules ‘EduTech I’ and ‘EduTech II’, as well as provide sufficient proof on the successful completion of, normally, one of the compulsory modules ‘Programming’ or ‘Research Methods’. The exact requirements can be found here.

Master’s Certificate
Upon successful completion of the EduTech Master program each graduate is awarded the degree of Master of Science (M.Sc.).



How to apply

The official deadline of applications for winter semester is the 15th of July (every year). All applicants please use the official application form.

For more German information click here.

We now have a new instruction, mostly for international students, where every important step of the application process is explained. Please have a look here (for the application platform) and here (for general information).

In addition to the official online-application you have to submit a motivational letter.

The Department of Educational Technology welcomes applications from German and international candidates with a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Psychology, Education, Computer Science or related fields with a proof of fluency in English and German (C1 (GER) after the 1st or 2nd semester). Courses to enhance your language skills can be taken up to 12CP.

All students with a bachelor’s degree in Computer science, Psychology or Education can apply for the Master of Educational Technology. In exceptional cases other bachelor’s degrees could be accepted.

To be accepted for the EduTech Master program you have to reach 50 qualification-points.
This table shows how many qualification-points you get for your bachelor’s grade.

































































> 3,9



In addition you can receive more q-points for following qualifications:

Additional qualifications


15 credit points (CP) courses in statistics and
research methods


15 CP for programming courses


15 CP for courses
in the field Education, Psychology, Media Psychology, Media Education, or Computer Science


Documentary proof for professional experience
and/or apprenticeship in the field of Educational Technology


proof for an internship in the field of Educational Technology


Documentary proof for 200 hours work as a
student assistant


Modulhandbuch Master Edutech.pdf


Does the university offer courses for students who want to learn the German language? And which is the cost?
It is possible to take up language courses at Saarland University. As you can read above, courses to enhance your language skills can be taken up to 12CP. For further information, please look at the website from the International Office and / or contact the responsible persons there. There are intensive courses with costs and free courses during the whole semester. If you want to apply for courses at the Studienkolleg, you can do so only after we have checked your documents.

What should I do if I have no appropriate language skills but the courses will start soon?
If there is no time left for reaching the language level of at least A2 or B1, we would recommend you to apply next year for the winter semester (EduTech M.Sc. starts only in winter) and to use the time until then to learn German/English.

Which documents are required?
You need a motivational letter as well as your German and English language proof documents, your Bachelor certificate and attestations for all of your apprenticeships etc.
About the language certificate: any proof of German / English language skills would be sufficient, for instance if you did the entry-level test at the language center at Saarland University.

How can I prove my English skills?
If you learned English at school until graduation, you are allowed to register. But then you have to prove your English skills later by a test, e.g. at the language center at Saarland University. In the course of the study you have to achieve a C1-level. But please note that your english should be good enough to understand lectures and papers in English from the beginning because many courses are in English.

Can I apply without programming / German skills?
Learning programming can be part of the Master program, so you won’t have to do anything in advance if you have no computer science background. Most of our students who participate in our Programming-courses start with no knowledge at all.
With the German language, it’s a bit different. You’d have to start with a level of at least A2 or, better, B1, in order to reach the required level of C1 in time. Any kind of certification which proves you language skill level is accepted.
For then applying you’d have to visit the official University website. It’s open for applications from summer on.

I want to apply. Can I apply even outside the official application process?
We are glad to hear that you take interest in studying our Master’s degree. Of course, you can send us your application documents and we have a look at them, we would however not be able to give you a guarantee for your application to come. For this, it is inevitable that you officially apply on the Saarland University website.

I want to apply. What should I do?
The official application period for winter terms starts in summer, starting in June and ending on July 15th. Educational Technology M.Sc. only starts in winter every year. The application process is fix and controlled by Saarland University. Applications can be sent by using this web link.

What are qualification points?
The qualifications points (QP) are points you get for your qualifications. If you, for instance, had a Bachelor degree of 1,3 you get 46 QP. Some courses like Statistics or Programming count up for the QP, as well, as you can see on the table above. You need 50 QP altogether for being accepted as applicant.

Is it possible to do a PhD after the M.Sc.?
There may be the chance of doctoral studies after completing your M.Sc. This would have to be clarified personally with Professor Weinberger in a face to face appointment.

I read that there is English as course language too. Is it correct?
English is course language, too, the amount is about 50% English (the other 50% are in German).

What are the costs?
The M.Sc. is tuition free, however you would need to pay the semester fees at Saarland University, about 180€ / semester.

Are there any other requirements to the participants from outside the EU?
Every participant from outside Germany is treated as an international student. Hence, he / she is normally enrolled at Saarland University, but has some different choices of offers from University than national students. For more information, please visit the website of the International Office.