My research interests are in analyzing and facilitating the generation, construction and sharing of knowledge in small groups of learners, working teams, and communities. I have developed multiple computer-supported collaboration scripts that orchestrate roles and activities of learners. The scripts I have designed facilitate specific interaction patterns and enhance individual knowledge acquisition as well as knowledge convergence within a group. Learners supported with these scripts do participate more actively and equally and can attain higher levels of argumentation and reasoning. I have implemented scripting in online scenarios, e.g. involving the use of discussion boards, and I have expanded the use of scripts to orchestrate various learning arrangements and technology-enhanced learning settings inside and outside the classroom.
My editorial work includes:
- Journal of Computers in Human Behavior: Guest Editor, Special Issue on Emerging and scripted roles in computer-supported collaborative learning (2010)
- Member of Editorial Board of International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning (since 2012)
- Reviewer for funding agencies, such as DFG, ISF, FWO, and SNF; reviewer for journals such as International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning (Editorial Board), Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, Computers & Education, Journal of Computers in Human Behavior, Instructional Science, Journal of Learning and Instruction, Research in Comparative & International Education, Journal for Educational Research Online, IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, and reviewer for conferences such as CSCL, ICLS, EC-TEL, CTS, etc.
My awards include:
- Award for top cited article 2007-2011 in Learning and Instruction
- Special recognition for Demo Backstage at the EC-TEL 2012
- Special recognition for Demo Proportions at the EC-TEL 2012
- Award for Outstanding Journal Article in the Field of Instructional Design Division of Design and Development of the Association for Educational Communications and Technology 2005
- Award for good teaching of Bavaria (Ministry for Science, Research and Art) for the Implementation of computer-supported learning environments at the LMU Munich / Virtual University of Bavaria 2000
|mailing adress||Department of Educational Technology
Campus C5 4
|office||Building C5 4, Room 1.12|