Armin Weinberger is head and founder of the EduTech department. Formerly, he was Associate Professor at the Department of Instructional Technology, Faculty of Behavioral Sciences, University of Twente, the Netherlands. He was lecturer and research fellow at the University of Munich, the University of Tübingen, and the Knowledge Media Research Center, Germany. His main research interests are educational technology, technology-enhanced learning, computer-supported collaboration scripts, argumentative knowledge construction, cross-cultural education, knowledge convergence, and methodological issues in small group learning.
At EduTech M.Sc., he teaches the following lectures: EduTech, The Design Challenge, Empirical Research Methods III, The Master Seminar, Intercultural Learning, Educational Technology for the Classroom.
My research interests are linked to analyzing and facilitating the generation, construction and sharing of knowledge in small groups of learners, working teams, and communities. I have developed multiple computer-supported collaboration scripts that orchestrate roles and activities of learners. The scripts I have designed facilitate specific interaction patterns and enhance individual knowledge acquisition as well as knowledge convergence within a group. Learners supported with these scripts do participate more actively and equally and can attain higher levels of argumentation and reasoning. I have implemented scripting in online scenarios, e.g. involving the use of discussion boards, and I have expanded the use of scripts to orchestrate various learning arrangements and technology-enhanced learning settings inside and outside the classroom. I have founded and coordinated the EARLI SIG Argumentation, Dialogue, and Reasoning since 2016.
I am reviewer for funding agencies, such as DFG, ISF, FWO, and SNF; reviewer for journals such as International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning, Journal of the Learning Sciences (editorial board since 2016), Educational Technology Research & Development, Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, Computers & Education, Journal of Computers in Human Behavior, Instructional Science, Journal of Learning and Instruction, Research in Comparative & International Education, Journal for Educational Research Online, IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, and reviewer for conferences such as CSCL, ICLS, EARLI, EC-TEL, CTS, etc.
My awards include:
- Award for top cited article 2007-2011 in Learning and Instruction
- Most frequent author of the International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning 2010-2014
- Special recognition for Demo Backstage at the EC-TEL 2012
- Special recognition for Demo Proportions at the EC-TEL 2012
- Award for Outstanding Journal Article in the Field of Instructional Design Division of Design and Development of the Association for Educational Communications and Technology 2005
- Award for good teaching of Bavaria (Ministry for Science, Research and Art) for the Implementation of computer-supported learning environments at the LMU Munich / Virtual University of Bavaria 2000
|mailing adress||Department of Educational Technology|
Campus C5 4
|office||Building C5 4, Room 1.12|