- In the ALoE project, my work
involves the develpment of educational material for online courses on
fractions, as well as organising empirical studies at schools for
informing and testing the developments. More particularly, the aim of
the empirical studies is to test the possible effect that the use of
erroneous examples in the classroom has on learning fractions. We are
further interested in the conditions under which erroneous examples
can benefit the elimination of common misconceptions associated with
fractions. We are testing how the context in which erroneous examples
are embeded can add to their educational value, and we are
investigating specifically the use of help while working with
I am also responsible for managing the projects
different work packages, which include cycels of system developments
and empirical studies.
- My PhD thesis, undertook the automatic production of hints. The aim of my thesis was the theoretical invesigation and the implementation of a prototype system for providing pedagogical feedback, including hints. The automation regards the representation of the cognitive functions of hints, as well as the definition and implementation of an implementable teaching model for the choice of appropriate feedback in the domain of mathematical theorem proving, assuming an external student model (See publications for more details).
- I was a researcher in the PSLC project Supporting Conceptual Learning in Chemistry through Collaboration Scripts and Adaptice, Online Support. The aim of the project was to investigate the collaborative extension of VLab, a virtual chemistry laboratory, using the collaborative platform FreeStyler, a platform for supporting collaborative modelling processes. I was involved in the preparation of experiments on learning through experimentation using VLab, and in the design of collaboration scripts and feedback for enhancing deep conceptual learning, which informed the collaborative extensions to VLab, which gave rise to the collaborative learning environment CoChemEx.
- I was involved in the
DIALOG project, which aims at investigating the tutorial dialogues for the domain of mathematics. I researched the dialogue move taxonomy for tutorial dialogues and took part in and co-supervised the building of a prototype tutorial dialogue system, which was evaluated in the first phase of the project.
- I was the author of a series of virtual lectures on dialogue management and dialogue systems (here) within the MiLCA project (Medienintensive Lehrmodule in der Computerlinguistik-Ausbildung/ Media Intensive Learning Modules in the Computional Linguistik Education).
- I was responsible for evaluating the Trindikit dialogue engine with regard to its reconfigurability for Tutorial Dialogues within the SIRidUS project (Specification, Interaction and Reconfiguration in Dialogue Understanding Systems).